Commissioning a work of public art from St. Louis ArtWorks is easy and provides job training for St. Louis youth. Clients can support ArtWorks through commissioning a work of art at three different levels:
- Level 1 - Summer Support: Underwrite the salaries for the 12-14 apprentices who will work on your commission. ArtWorks gives these teens a meaningful job, 5 hours a day, 5 days a week for 6 weeks throughout the summer. During this period the group will work with you to design and complete a unique work of art in such disciplines as: photography, sculpture, painting, ceramics, and more. Support needed for a summer program commission is: $12-14,000 – as each apprentice earns $1,000 over the summer. Additional fabrication costs may be necessary depending on the art work.
- Level 2 – Spring/Fall Support: Our spring and fall programs employ 25-30 apprentices for 6 hours a week for 12 weeks. During this period the group will work with you to design and complete a unique work of art in such disciplines as: photography, sculpture, painting, ceramics, and more. Support needed for a spring/fall program commission begins at $5,000.
- Level 3 – Boomerang Press: Our youth will create a unique image tailored specifically to your company’s needs whether it be the design of a logo, newsletter, poster, postcard, or letterhead - you will work directly with the apprentices through the design process. Boomerang commissions are $1,000 per image.
Filling your graphic design needs through Boomerang Press is a great way to give your marketing dollar a social edge. Such a partnership supports two youth for nine months of programming. The purchase of these cards and graphic design services have a true “Boomerang effect”: customers, clients, and card recipients appreciate that the unique designs provide job-training in the arts for at-risk teens from the city of St. Louis.
In addition to the custom card designs Boomerang Press also offers standard card designs, both holiday and community-based, which are available for custom imprinting. The imprint includes a message on the inside of the card as well as your return address on the envelope.
Examples of 2010 commissioned works of art include:
- Missouri Foundation for Health Sculpture
- Bike racks for: The Moto Museum, Belas Artes, Soulard Market, The Way Out Club, Kakao Chocolate, and The Tap Room.
- Incarnate Word Foundation – Prints depicting the foundation's history
- Sculpture design for Great Rivers Greenway
- Sculptural Kites for Centene Corporation
90% of commission investments are eligible for Missouri Youth Opportunity Tax Credits. Please call 314-289-4181 to learn more about a commission. This is a unique opportunity to help empower teens with a meaningful job and bring public art to your business or community.